Do you have braces? Are you worried about your diet? We understand with braces, it can be tough to eat all the foods you like. Therefore, our orthodontist has put together a few diet suggestions that you can follow during your orthodontic journey while ensuring you get the right nutrition.
What To Eat When You First Get Braces?
At the beginning of your orthodontic treatment, you will take some time to get used to your braces. Therefore, you need to make sure you eat soft foods that don’t require much chewing. You can eat the following foods that will provide you with the required nutrition without causing much discomfort.
- Scrambled eggs
- Soups or broths
- Soft vegetables
- Mashed potatoes
- Soft cheeses
These foods are the best to consume during your first few days with braces.
What Foods To Avoid Right After Getting Braces?
However, there are certain foods can cause sensitivity in the first few days. Eating certain foods may increase your discomfort and cause pain. A few of the foods you should avoid are as follows.
- Ice cream
- Spicy foods
- Citrus fruits
- Chewy bread or rolls
- Chewy meat
You can consume these foods once you adjust to your new braces.
What To Avoid While You Have Braces?
Different foods can damage teeth, not to mention the damage they can cause to your braces. These foods include sticky, chewy, hard foods, which can damage your wires or cause a bracket to fall out. This will lengthen the duration of your orthodontic treatment. Therefore avoid the following foods to ensure you don’t have to face an orthodontic emergency.
- Chewing gum
- Hard candy
- Chewy candy
- Pizza crust
- Bagels and other hard rolls
- Crunchy vegetables and fruits
- Hard crackers
- Chewy candies like gummy bears, jelly beans, taffy, etc.
Also, make sure you reduce the consumption of surgery foods & drinks with braces. Sugary foods cause plaque and bacteria build-up, which can lead to decay.
What To Do If Your Brackets Or Bands Come Loose?
During your orthodontic treatment, you will have to visit the orthodontist frequently to adjust your braces. However, if you have a loose or broken wire, band, or bracket, you need to visit the orthodontist immediately.
This can happen if you eat sticky or crunchy foods or if you faced an injury to your mouth. In such cases, you need to visit the orthodontist right away, to avoid damage or delay that will slow your treatment time.
Top Tips To Care For Your Braces
- Follow a good oral routine and use the right toothpaste, mouthwash, and floss to clean your braces and teeth.
- Brush your teeth after every meal using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Pay attention to the space around your brace stay can trap food, and you can use a floss to remove the particles.
- Make sure your braces are fitted properly and schedule regular appointments with your orthodontist.
- Visit your dentist along with your orthodontist to remove plaque buildup.
- Chewing techniques like chewing food with your front teeth will be easier to chew compared to your back teeth, which are stronger.
Get Straighter Teeth With Braces
If you want to achieve the perfect smile and bite, braces are the way to go! If you are still worried about the foods you can eat while having braces or if you are wondering “where to get the highest quality braces near me?”, just visit the orthodontist in Merrick, NY. The team will help you and guide you throughout your orthodontic journey. You can ask the orthodontist for recommendations about your diet or oral care, ensuring a pleasant experience.